Tuesday 17 June 2014

My Life Next Door | Huntley Fitzpatrick


Please excuse the terrible photoshopping of the book, my bad.


☆.5

My Life Next Door is about a girl called Samantha Reed; who lives in an abnormally big house for 
only three people including herself: her sister Tracy and her mother- the senator. She has been living across from this large family-the Garretts for ten years. The Garretts were everything the Reeds weren't and Samantha's mother loathed them, she would say they were just a racket with their toys sprawled all over the lawn; a mess. Samantha and her sister were never really introduced to their neighbours because they're mother despised them but that never really stopped Samantha's curiosity and she would always sit a top her roof and watch them, that is until one night when one of the Garrett boys- Jase comes and decides to sit next to her.  

This is a Young Adult Contemporary so there is 'falling in love', BUT BEFORE YOU think its all cliche as shit lemme just say ITS NOT! and it is worth your time. Honest, its not cliche at all but the opposite; in that sense very true to real relationships and what they deal with.

The book it written very well and Huntley Fitzpatrick grasped a teenage relationship very well, she writes about both families and the issues they go through very well and it was so true to a real relationship and you see yourself rooting for these characters. The characters were written brilliantly to a point where they almost feel real and relatable, the development throughout the book was on point and so was the whole book in general.  This is one of a few contemporary's I've read where it's so realistic! 

I gave this book a 4.5 stars. This was such a pick-me-up for me because I've been reading some slow books lately and this was phenomenal. Things I just am in awe from this book (there is a few):

REALISTIC CHARACTERS 
REALISTIC FAMILY
REALISTIC LOVE/RELATIONSHIP
No wishy-woshy teenage drama that no one has time for.
GEORGE!!!!!
The Garrett's
Jase! 
It made me cry, in a good way but at one point I was bawling because of one scene. 
It made me laugh, literally out loud! 
The fact the Jase and Samantha were mature and not stupid-un-responsible teenagers they were 17 I believe. 

There are some strong themes of love/friendship and family which mould Samantha into who she becomes at the end of this book and it's lovely to follow both Jase and Sam's journey through this book. I think I may just keep this review spoiler free. Overall I loved this, I really did. A perfect summer contemporary! I was 'supposed' and I use that word loosely because clearly I'm not on my summer holidays yet (still got two exams and a two weeks of school to read this in my summer holidays) but I just couldn't wait and I'm glad I didn't. 

~fi
  x


No comments:

Post a Comment