Wednesday 11 June 2014

Percy Jackson and the Olympians | Rick Riordan | Books 1-3



The 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians' is definitely one of the series that my friends (including Rain) hoarded me into, but I loved it. I now know why everyone tells me to read it, its brilliant. I can tell you now after reading only 3/5ths of the books so far it's action packed straight from the beginning. I didn't think I would enjoy this series at all only because its middle grade/fantasy and I didn't think it would be my cup of tea, but tell you what this is freaking amazing. I specifically remember saying "I'm never, ever going to read Percy Jackson" but here I am, *sighs*. This series consists of five books, but I've only read the first three. I do plan on reading this whole series which means I only have to read the next two and then I plan of reading the 'Hero's of Olympus' which is also a five book series. I only did end up picking this series up because of #ayearathon (I blame them). #ayearathon is basically a week long read-a-thon for the whole of this year which takes place at the beginning of every month with a theme/genre of book. The theme for this month was Rick Riordan.


Fiona rated it: ☆.5

The Lighting Thief is the first book in this series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I gave it a 4.5 out of 5 stars. I love the concept of these books, the idea of the Greek Gods and you just learn so much whilst reading. 

Greek Mythology in general (◕‿◕)✿

Rick Riordan's writing style is very easy to read (considering that its middle grade) they way he crafts his books is brilliant, they are always filled with action. 

The characters in this series, expecially in this book where we are getting to know all of them. All the characters in this book were written really well and I'm pretty sure all of them if not most were very relatable. In general I really think everyone should read this at some point, whether that may be in middle grade or not. If you're skeptical like me, just go for it! You never know. They are 12! When I was twelve I didn't know what god was. 





Fiona rated it:☆.5

The Sea of Monsters is the second book in this series and I fairly enjoyed this as-well. I realised that most of theses books you tend to forget half of all the action that happens throughout the books (maybe this is just me) because of the amount of action that is happening every time you turn a page and I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all, I think its great. These books are very fast pace and quite addictive. 

The plot just thickens are the characters just keep developing and its all coming together very well. 


Okay, um, er, they are 13 in this one, what even! I've come to a conclusion that when you think Percy and Co are going to rest or cut down of the action for a while, it never, ever happens.  There is always something somewhere going on and I freaking love it. These books have been out for quite sometime now so I do know a little about what happens but not everything. This book out of the three I have read so far was probably the one I forgot most about, apart from the fact that they retrieve the fleece and Thalia comes back to life. I think in this book we get to know more about the Gods and a bit more about Poseidon and his relationship with Percy, I'm not gonna lie I think one of the best story lines in these book might just have to be the relationship Sally Jackson and Poseidon share. Shipping Annabeth and Percy pretty hard. Percabeth. 




Fiona rated it:

The Titan's Curse is the third book in this series and so far my favourite. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read the books up until this one, all I have to say is that if you haven't started this series you really should get on it at some point.

When I first started reading, we again jump straight into action and so much is going on. The characters just keep getting better and the monsters even worse, we learn more about Kronos and Luke; we also get introduced to the Hunters, Artemis and Apollo, Bianca and Nico de Angelo we also learn a more about Thalia.

Can we please just take a moment for Artemis and her Hunters, oH mY goD were they amazing, girl power everybody! ZOE NIGHTSHADE EVERYBODY!!! I LIVED FOR HER, she was a kickbutt characters, so you could already guess how it felt when she died, I was screaming at the book. The one character I get freakishly attached to dies and everything just...also Bianca dies and I thought that was horrible I really liked her as well, I believe that because these books are indeed middle-grade that the deaths weren't dealt upon heavily like in Young Adult literature, where authors literally rip your heart out.

There was a point where Percy decides to take on the Titan Lord Atlas and I literally facepalmed my way through that chapter. When Dr Chase came in a started to shoot down the Titan army was also very kickbutt, Annabeth's dad is pretty cool. Not to mention in this one they are 14 which is slightly more reasonable, but still. Still shipping Percabeth. I don't think I talk a lot about Annabeth and Grover but they are also two of my favourite characters in this book series.


I think I should clarify why I gave the first two books a 4.5 start rating instead of 5, this is because even thought I love the books I just don't feel the 5 stars and its very hard to explain why exactly. Considering the fact I still have two weeks of school left before the Summer holidays (I want them to come faster!) I think reading three books in a week is pretty good. There is just so much I could go on and ramble about but I thing you guys get the gist of it. Overall I really enjoyed my week of Percy Jackson and I think will probably end up reading the last two books in this series in the next month only because I still need to get through my June tbr.


No comments:

Post a Comment